PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Hydrostatic Trans

Yellbird
08-10-2002, 09:31 AM
I made a major mistake and while having my 618 grasshopper in for some warranty work I had them change the trans fluid and filter, The charge for that alone ( hold your breath) $145.00, thats right $145 for 2qts oil and a filter and 1 1/2 hours of labor.
After I got off the floor I questioned and argued but just wasted my time.
I went home and checked out what has to be done and have decided I would do it myself but am having a hard time finding out what oil or fluid to use.
My problem is what should I use for fluid> I called Grasshopper
and they gave me the run around and said they use a special fluid so I asked the president of the company and he said i could use Mobil Syn oil.
I talked to a dealer ( not the one I had do it) and he said Texaco
TDH, trouble is Texaco is no longer around. I talked to Amsoil and they suggested their ATH oil.
Any ideas?
THANKS

golf_wrench
08-10-2002, 10:07 AM
Can't you buy the "special fluid" from the dealer who changed the fluid for you?
BTW $145 for the labor, filter, and labor doesn't sound too bad if you have to spend several hours researching unless your time is worth a lot less than mine.

Yellbird
08-10-2002, 10:49 AM
I hope your not serious!

Is that the advice you gave your troops? just go back and spend more money at a place that ripped you off. This is my money I am spending not the Armies. And YES my time is worth as much as yours, but I feel once I learn something I won't have to ask again but will do it myself.

I don't believe you answer was well thought out.

If I have wasted anytime today it was reading your response.
If you reread what I posted, I asked a question, I did not ask for you smartazz opinon.

cos
08-10-2002, 11:22 AM
You don't think that $145 for an oil change is a LITTLE steep, Golf Wrench?

I think they would have to call 911 if they gave me that bill!

dhicks
08-10-2002, 01:30 PM
I bought 4 quarts of the special G'hopper trans. oil for $14.00 and change.

Mowingman
08-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Your Grasshopper should have the Gemini Trans. system in it. If so, you can use Mobil 1 - DTE26 or any AW68 oil, such as Quaker State AW68. If it is under warranty, I would stick with the Grasshopper fluid.
That price does not sound out of line to me. My toro dealer gets 50.00/hr for shop labor. your dealer probably charged full list price for the oil and filters also.

golf_wrench
08-10-2002, 06:03 PM
My son-in-law took his 96 Ford F150 in because the check engine light was staying on. It cost him $450 plus for eight spark plugs ($4.10 each from the dealer and $1.40 from the parts store), a throttle position sensor ($165 there and $68 at the parts store and the rest for labor at $80.00 (EIGHTY DOLLARS) and hour.
And this is for a truck he is just trying to get running so he can trade it in on a new car. It is not something he is out there trying to provide a service with to make money to raise his family (he can walk to work from his house), in other words he doesn't need the truck near as badly as you need your mower.
The first line in my post was the real advice which was to buy the oil from the guy who serviced it. dhicks got his for three and a half bucks a quart which does not sound unreasonable since mobile one will cost at least as much.

Our Toro dealers labor rate is $65 an hour which is why I do everything in house as much as possible.

When I call anywhere for parts I ALWAYS ask for price and availability that way I get to haggle before it is in writing and at least have a very good idea what the final bill is going to be.
BTW I also do not let anyone drop off a piece of equipment on the property unless it comes with a parts and service manual so I can do the work and search for the parts myself. When I pull a bearing or seal out the genaric part numbers go in the book so next time I do it I will have the cheaper part number, this is so for all parts,
Again:

Yellbird
08-10-2002, 10:14 PM
I could almost agree it would not be out of line because his hourly rate is $60.00, but to charge 1 1/2 hours to take off two bolts to drop the shield, loosen two hoses to drain the fluid and screw on a filter! that to me is stealing. On top of that he hit me for $18.59 (a Quart) for this so called special oil.

When I asked their tech support what fluid I could use instead of theirs, he said he could not tell me but told me what pour point it had to have and a couple of other qualifying issues.

When I asked the President of Grasshopper he admitted the charges were a little out of line.

I know the new one's have the Gemini trans and mine is almost two years old so I assume mine is the same but will call them Monday to be certain.

Yellbird
08-10-2002, 10:42 PM
I tried to thank all of you for your answers but I took to long to edit my post so it would not let me do it, so anyway,

Thanks

mgardner
08-21-2002, 11:34 PM
I would have thought $60.00 was high and would have been hot. Also last time to that dealer.

bob
09-14-2002, 10:17 PM
I have G1 and a G2 transmissions. The oil for the G1 is $25 a gallon. Since it holds 2.5 gallns you need 3. Can't remember the filter price. The oil for the G2 is $75 a gallon and you need 2. The filter is about $20. Thats $170 just for materials. I used that Mobile DTE-26 @ $12 a gallon instaed of the Grasshopper brand. I'm told that their vertually the same. I changed it last Febuary and haven't had any problems. Grainger carriers MObile DTE-26 http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611755504

Yellbird
10-21-2002, 11:03 AM
You may be right about the price per gal but the trans does not take 3 gal it takes about 3 1/2 qts which would change the total price for a flush. If i use your price of 25 a gal and 20 for filter that leaves 100 for labor, for a 1/2 hour work that to me is outrages.

Thanks for you advice anyway.