PDA

View Full Version : Speedzone herbicide

Rich DTLC
02-18-2003, 07:55 PM
I ordered some Speedzone herbicide today, should be in by end of the week. Then hopefully it will warm up and hold off raining a little so I can get some sprayed. From what I've read this should work well on some hard to control broadleaf weeds. I was quoted, $125.00 per 2.5 gallons. As soon as I've applied some of this product I'll let you know the results.

GreenQuest Lawn
02-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Yes for sure, I keep seeing it in the trade mags and keep thinking.........but thats as far as it goes. When you get it let me know what the mix rate is as well would like to know cost per 1000sq ft.

Rich DTLC
02-19-2003, 07:09 AM
The application rate for Speedzone is 1.1 - 1.8 oz. per 1,000 sq ft, so figuring in sales tax, material cost on Speedzone is $0.472 - $0.772 per 1,000 sq ft. Cost is a little higher than Trimec Classic, but lower night time temps don't seem to hurt the effectiveness of Speedzone, according to what I've read, and after talking to a PBI Gordon rep at GIE. The addition of Carfentrazone to what is basically a Trimec blend improves the effectiveness of the herbicide. There was a lot of talk at a meeting I was at in January about this new herbicide, Carfentrazone. The UT weed gurus were pretty excited about it, they really liked the control they were seeing on some of the harder to control weeds.

Here is a link to Speedzone, http://www.pbigordon.com/speedzone_labels/speedzone_label.pdf

GroundKprs
02-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Just be careful about regular applications around woody ornamentals, especially those that are shallow rooted. Dicamba is root absorbed by woody plants. Ornamental profs years ago insisted that dicamba never be used except on open turf. Since I saw stress on magnolias and redbuds back in the 80s when using products with dicamba, I have stayed away from any product using it.

It does not outright kill the trees or shrubs, but stresses them, so they are more susceptable to other fatal attacks by insects, disease, and other naturally occurring problems.

Rich DTLC
02-21-2003, 12:11 PM
I agree Jim, I mainly use the products containing Dicamba in turf areas where there is little chance of stressing ornamentals. You can buy the Carfentrazone separate as Quicksilver, don't have any prices on it yet as my local Lesco has not been given prices yet. They do know about it, and seemed to pretty excited about the product. Applications rates are 1.1 to 2.1 oz per acre or .025 to .048 oz per 1,000 sq ft. It can be tank mixed with products like Momentum and the Trimecs. Here is a link to more information at FMC's T & O pesticide page, http://www.fmc-apgspec.com/toc.htm.

As soon as I can get one of my suppliers to give me a price, I'll post it and material cost per app.

onemancrew
02-27-2003, 09:14 AM
I have heard that with speedzone the ground temp can't be above 65f or you can run risk of drift burn on surrounding objects. Have you guys heard anything like this???

Rich DTLC
02-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Reviewed the Speedzone label, and here is what it says about temperatures.

Prohibitions for application schedules:
Do not broadcast apply when air temperatures exceed 90 degrees F; some injury may be expected with spot treatments when air temperatures exceed 90 degrees F.

There is more risk with volitilization of Ester formulations at higher temps, which result in vapors drifting to off target areas. This is one reason that I'm getting pricing on the Quicksilver, which can be added to Trimec Classic, and some other post emergant broadleaf herbicides, READ the Quicksilver label before mixing it with other products. But always read the product label before using any pesticide to review and special precautions that may need to be taken when applying.

One benefit I can see with the Carfentrazone (Quicksilver) is it allows the applicator to get an earlier start doing the broadleaf apps. Carfentrazone is effective at lower temps than a straight 3-way, from the information I've found on the web and in magazine advertisements for it.

Rich DTLC
03-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Applied Speedzone to my lawn and another on Sunday, first day that the wind wasn't blowing at 10-15 mph here. Took a walk on the lawn yesterday afternoon, picking up trash from the highway in front of the house, man I hate litterbugs:flaming: . Weeds were curling up faster than with straight Trimec Classic. I applied it at 4.0 pts/A, Clover, Henbit, Chickweed(common and Mouse Ear), Thistles all were curling up from the herbicide. I would have taken some pics, but someone stole my digital camera, and I haven't replaced it yet. I'll have to see if I can borrow one to take some pics today.

Ric
03-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Speedzone for St Augustine has been taken off the market. Or at least we can't buy it here in Florida anymore. I am not sure of the reason.