PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do you have on your kohler

Tomoaktree
12-12-2001, 07:52 PM
I stopped in at lescos today and the mechanic had removed a kohler engine off a dc to replace it with kaw. Ive got a lazer with a 23 kohler and was wondering if anyone has had problems with them. So far ....knock on wood , mine is running good.

EJKane
12-12-2001, 09:25 PM
I have 500 on my CV23S Kohler Command and have had no problems. My old employer has a CH22S Kohler Command on a Lazer with 3000 hrs. and no problems with it either.

awm
12-12-2001, 09:50 PM
ABOUT 1200 OR SO LAST TIME I LOOKED. SHES RUNNING STRONG
i run it pretty hard tho so we ll see how it goes.20 command

gene gls
12-12-2001, 09:56 PM
I have a Walker with 20 HP Kohler thats going on 2200 hours. It may be time for a new carb but over all the engin has been good.

Gene

GreenQuest Lawn
12-12-2001, 10:10 PM
I have 700 on my kohler 25hp. No problems yet.

accuratelawn
12-12-2001, 11:10 PM
I have about 1800 on my Lazer 25 Kohler. Runs great. Cleaned the carb about two months ago.

Eric ELM
12-12-2001, 11:30 PM
I have 3,830 hours on my CV22 Kohler on my Dixie Chopper. I did put on a new carberator at 3,600 hours. It still sounds great and I plan on still using it as a main mower next season.

65hoss
12-13-2001, 01:06 AM
1 Kohler has around 1300 and another has almost 1000. Both are in great shape.

Tomoaktree
12-13-2001, 07:50 AM
Great to hear all the possitive feedback. What's the secret to getting the most out of an engine?

Mowman
12-13-2001, 08:06 AM
I'm ready to turn up 1000 hr's on my Walker MT w/ 20HP Kolher Command. When I got it, it was not maintained very well and used a quart of oil in less than 100 hr's. Since I've had it, it's been maintained on a regular basis. I switched the engine over to Mobil 1 10w30w and to my SURPRISE the hours kind of got away from me and when I needed to add maybe a thimble full of oil it had 144 hr's on that oil. I was totally IMPRESSED and now SWEAR by using Mobil 1 in everything, hydro's,gear drives any place I can use it I do. I'm HOPING to get half as many hours out of her that Eric has on his OLD DIXIE. I will not COMPLAIN if it goes the 4,000 hr's that I'm sure he will be turning up next season. When I get a new mower (WALKER) of coarse I will probably get the 20HP again. We'll see what's around when this one gives out.

Mowman

Mowman
12-13-2001, 08:11 AM
I believe that preforming the PROPER mainteance, changing the oil and filter, cleaning the cooling fins and just keeping it CLEAN is the KEY to getting LONG LIFE out of any engine. That's been my SECRET to every car,truck,mower, or anything JUST keep it maintained on a regular basis.
That's my SECRET!!!!!!!!!

Mowman

awm
12-13-2001, 08:22 AM
tom i think its just good maintenance. clean oil ,good gas,
air filter clean,and last use the right motor for the job you are asking it to do.later now.

Turfclips
12-13-2001, 08:27 AM
I got a Wa;lker with 900 on Kohler 25.
1150 on DC with Kohler 25:crazy:

DanG
12-13-2001, 09:43 AM
I have one with 1200 hours and one with 800 both run fine.
Had to clean the carb on one after it got some bad gas in it a year ago other then that never had any problems with either of them just routine maintenance.

Dan

Eric ELM
12-13-2001, 10:36 AM
I forgot to mention that besides the one with over 3,800 hours, I had one Kohler Magnum with 2,500 hours I sold to a friend that now has over 2,800 hours on it, another old Magnum with 2,000 hours I traded in and I now have 190 hours on the 2002 Kohler 26 hp EFI.

The secret to keeping them running that long for me is the Filters and Coolers on the Dixie Choppers and I add Tufoil to the oil on mine. Tufoil is so slick it is in the Guiness Book of Records. I've run it in all my 4 cycle engines for over 10 years. If you want to read about it, go to www.tufoil.com to read all about it. Up until last year, I ran Penzoil in them, but now I'm using Shell Rotella T 15 W 40 in all of them since it is a great diesel oil and will work in gas engines too.

When they test oils and additives, they put some oil on bearings and turn them under a lot of pressure to simulate years of use in a short period. The longest any additive was able to take this test before smoking was about 12 minutes. The top 25 additives were tested on this ball bearing test. Using Tufoil on the bearings, they ran the test for 16 days before they started to smoke.

CLARKE
12-13-2001, 01:56 PM
Have only a miner 800hrs on mine, and learned this much for sure the more hours you have on it the better it run, I LOVE IT.

Turf Cutters
12-13-2001, 07:03 PM
I have over 800 hours on the dc with the cv20 kohler. I change oil and filter every 50 hours. It is starting to smoke a little bit, think it is the valve seals.

Eric ELM
12-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Turf Cutters, is this just at start up?

That can be a normal thing on some mowers. Kaw 25 hp motors are noted for this, at least the ones I've been around. My old Kohler smokes a bit at times, but it never uses enough oil between oil changes (50 hours) so that I need to add any.

The Kohlers smaller than 25 hp have cast iron sleeves and I feel they will last longer than the 25 and 26's, but time will tell. I've heard of 25 hp Kohlers with over 3,000 hours on them.

Crabgrassman
12-14-2001, 04:36 AM
MY Kohler 25 (2001) smokes at startup almost every time until the oil level gets about a pint low on the dipstick. I believe it has a lot to do with the back-end down rake that a Dixie has. It allows a little oil to run in the cylinders until the oil gets a little low.

Lawngodfather
12-14-2001, 06:00 AM
Crabgrassman;

That should not do that, as with many WB's the front is lower than the back.

You have a problem.

Does it only do that when it's cold?

If so your valve guide seals are worn.

Does it do that all the time?

If so sounds like a blown gasket.

You could also have premature ring falure.

You don't want to be running it a quart low all the time, the oil helps cool the engine.

Turf Cutters;

My vert Kohler 22hp's do that at start up when cold, but they don't use any oil. It's not the valve guide seals if only at start up. It should be classified as normal, if no use of oil.

Eric ELM
12-14-2001, 09:20 AM
Mike, he said a pint low, not a quart low.

Richard, do you check your oil with the dipstick screwed in or not screwed in? You should check it with it screwed in. If you check it not screwed in, it will be over full if you fill it up to the line, so that can cause your problem.

Lawngodfather
12-14-2001, 11:10 PM
Kohler oil checking procedure. Via Kohler manual.

Check Oil Level

1) Make sure the engine is stopped, level, and is cool so the oil has time to drain to the sump.

2) To keep dirt grass clippings, etc., out of the engine, clean the area around the dip stick before removing it.

3) Unthread and remove the oil fill/dipstick; wipe oil off. Reinsert into the tube and rest the oil fill cap on the tube. Do not thread the cap onto the tube. See figure 5.

4) Pull the dipstick out and check the oil level.

The oil level should be up to, but not over the "FULL" mark on the dipstick. See Figure 6

5) If the oil level is below the "ADD" line, add oil of the proper type, up to the "FULL" mark on the dipstick.

Pages 8/9 Kohler manual 18-25hp Vertical chrankshaft

Eric ELM
12-14-2001, 11:51 PM
Mine says to put it all the way in to check it. I just looked on the Kohler site and it says to put it all the way in too.

They need to get this straight for all manuals so we know.

Lawngodfather
12-15-2001, 12:12 AM
Yes they should. Have you emailed them yet?

Also I fill mine till just under the full mark, with it rested.

And Kaw's say to screw in.

Eric ELM
12-15-2001, 12:16 AM
With a filter change, mine takes 2 quarts. If I put in 2 quarts, it is right on the full mark with it screwed in. I would say this has to be correct. If not, it will take more that 2 quarts.

AB Lawncare
12-15-2001, 04:07 PM
I have not heard anyone mention clacking lifters. Am I the only one???

Crabgrassman
12-15-2001, 04:29 PM
Lawngodfather wrote:
That should not do that, as with many WB's the front is lower than the back. You don't want to be running it a quart low all the time
Well, it's not a walkbehind. It's a Dixie Chopper. On DCs the front is higher than the back. The rake is pretty severe too. And I run it about a pint low, not a quart. If I check it the way Eric says to it shows that the oil level is fine.

Lawngodfather then wrote:
My vert Kohler 22hp's do that at start up when cold, but they don't use any oil. It's not the valve guide seals if only at start up. It should be classified as normal, if no use of oil.

What, it's ok for your's to do it but not mine?

Lawngodfather then contradicted himself in the same message by saying
Does it only do that when it's cold?

If so your valve guide seals are worn.

You have to make up my mind. Maybe I read it wrong but it looks like one second you're saying if the engine is cold and smokes at startup then the valve guide seals are worn and the next second you're saying that smoking at cold startup is normal.

Lawngodfather
12-15-2001, 05:19 PM
1) Was an example, so I didn't see it as your problem. Quart/ Pint I got that when Eric pointet out that I misread it. Also that's wht we are also discussing the oil check procedure

2) When you start the mower cold. First time of the day.

3) Does it only do that when it's cold? If the answer was "NO" then your valve guide seals are worn. Sorry it made sence when I was typing it.

Is that better Richard

Crabgrassman
12-15-2001, 07:08 PM
Yes, that's better. ROTFLMAO

Tomoaktree
12-16-2001, 11:56 AM
Here's what the manual that came with my lazer says for kohler command 18-26 hp :
1) Make sure the engine is stopped level and is cool so the oil has had time to drain into the sump.

2) To keep dirt , debris, etc., out of the engine , clean the area around the dipstick before removing it .

3)Remove the dipstick; wipe oil off. Reinsert the dipstick into tube and press allthe way down.

4)Remove dipstick and check oil level.

Mowin4cash
12-16-2001, 12:35 PM
I have two choppers. One with a CV22, it has over 1400 hrs and has had NO engine work. The other has the CV23. It only has about 400 hrs on it, and at 300 hrs, the dealer had to go into the engine. They said they shaved the heads and resurfaced the valves. Getting ready to have to send it back again. The bad thing, I figured that they should replace the engine since it was still under warranty, and had so few hrs. Kohler said "No Way!"

Mike