+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice, please, about hydraulic oil change

1. Join Date
    Apr 2002

Advice, please, about hydraulic oil change

Hello!

We bought a XW2000-60 back in 1999, and still use it to mow our couple of acres. It has served us well!

When we bought it, the dealer recommended Schaeffer Supreme 7000 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil for the hydraulic, and 10W30 conventional oil for the engine.

Now, I've seen several posts on here recommending Lucas 15W40 for both the hydraulic and engine, and I like the idea of this.

However, I'm wondering the best procedure for changing as much of the hydraulic oil as possible from the Schaeffer to the Lucas.

Besides changing the filters, would it be wise to disconnect and drain the hydraulic oil reservoir, and then refill it with the new oil?

Of course, doing this wouldn't get every last drop of the old oil out of the system, but would it be good enough?

Any other suggestions/input about this would be appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Changing the oil in the hyd system is a smart idea,the residual oil left in the pumps,hoses,& wheel motors will not hurt anything.The most crirical part is to bleed all the air out before you oprerate the unit,as the pumps (if run dry) can self destruct in 16 seconds or less.The Lucas oil will be fine in your unit.Just be sure to fill the new filters with new oil before you install them.Your local dealer should be able to help you if you have any further questions.
    DC Service

3. Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    I have a 2002 XXWD5000-72 that I’ll be changing the hydraulic fluid / filters on within the next few days. I haven’t done this before so I wanted to confirm the process so I don’t mess up the motors. In reading this thread it looks relatively simple except for bleeding the air out. What is the process for this?

Here’s my game plan.

1. I haven’t looked but I assume that there is either a nut/bolt on the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir to drain the fluid.
    2. Once the old filters are removed replace with new filters filled with new oil before installing.
    3. Fill the reservoir with new hydraulic fluid.
    4. Bleed the lines? Not sure on this.

This sound about right?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Just a quick note that I went ahead and changed the hydraulic fluid last night. I couldn't find a nut/bolt on the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir however both filters are located on the very bottom of the reservoir so I removed them to drain the fluid. This was kind of a pain because it was near impossible to get a drain pan underneath. I ended up using doubled up garbage bags to catch the fluid. Anyway I replaced the old filters with new ones topped with hydro fluid then filled the reservoir and let it sit for 15 minutes before starting. I mowed for a bit and all felt good.

Note: One of the reasons I did the hydraulic change was because the steering was starting to feel a bit mushy and not as responsive as in the past. I definitely noticed that it was tighter after the hydro / filter change. Anything else I can do to tighten up the steering on this old Dixie?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I use a fluid evacuator to remove the hydraulic oil -- saves a mess. Here is an older thread on the subject which is before Lucas Oil that may be helpful.

http://www.lawnforums.com/showthread...ange+hydro+oil
    Dixie Chopper XWD3500-60 - Wright Stander X - Echo SRM 2100SB - Echo PAS-260
    Echo PB-650T - Echo PB-770T - Echo HC-1500 - Shindaiwa T2500 - Shindaiwa PB270 - Shindaiwa PS344

7. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Thanks! That's exaclty what I needed.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    I use a hand pump sold at WalMart to remove most of the oil, then use a low sided pan under the filters. As far a purging the pumps, after filter replacement and oil fill I jack the back of the mower up with a steady floor jack and stands, start and idle the engine fairly low at first immediately running the wheels to purge the air out of the hydro system... Has always worked for me, I have three of them...

Luv my Dixie's...

HTH

Dave

+ Reply to Thread