+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much do I charge per sq ft?

1. Join Date
    Mar 2002

How much do I charge per sq ft?

How much do I charge roughly per sq ft? I'm trying to bid on jobs by the total sq ft. ie: mowing, trimming, edging,.
    Is .30 cents per sq ft to much? Got to consider degree of diffuctly also.

Thank you.
    Heileman Lawn & Snow

2. Join Date
    Nov 2001

DO IT BY THE ACRE

I charge about $35 .00 per acre some times $40.00 it just depends on how bumpy the ground is and how fast you can do it,
    Back 10 yrs ago when i only had 48 inch walk bhine mowers it took 40 to 45 min to mow a acre, Now withthe 60' Dixie Choppers
    i can mow almost 3 Acres a hr. Most of the time it about the speed.
    CLARKE

CLARKE'S TOTAL LAWN CARE
    OUR BUSINESS IS ALWAYS GROWING

3. Join Date
    Mar 2002

Any suggestions?????

Is there anyone that charges so much by the sq ft? I'm guesing .30 cents per sq ft? Am I in the ball park?
    Heileman Lawn & Snow

4. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    When I give a bid I figure how long it will take rather than by area. I have a few small lawns that are endless trees and obstacles that seem to take forever and on the other side I do a private runway that is only ten passes wide and 1/2 mile or so long that I can do in less time than some small lawns due to it being wide open and little turning. (I figure, for my situation, $45.00 per hr or .75 cents per min. for one guy)

I dont know maybe my math is wrong but wouldn't .30 sq foot be 130.00 per acer? For small lawns that would sound right (10000sq ft x .30 = $30.00) but wide area mowing seems a little high, but if you can get that much great. I would love to get that much for the runway that would bring it to around $400 per time for around an hours work.

Its early and my math skills may not be up to par so forgive me if I added wrong. LOL
    Todd
    GreenQuest Lawn Care

5. Join Date
    Feb 2002
    i think your math is wrong... at .30 your would make like 2 dollars for mowing 3 or 4 ft with a 21" mower...
    10,000 sqft yard would cost 3000.... just say u want 40 an hr figure out how much u can do in one hour like mow 1000 in 10 mins would be a sixth of an hr so a sixth of 40 would be 6.67 so u mow 1000 sqft for 6.67 or 6000 for 40... if you wanted to be detailed to a sqft ummm it would be .0067 or ..67 for 100 sqft...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    .30 per square foot would be great money. $13200 per acre if my math is right.
    Bill
    Of course this is just my humble but well thought out opinion.
    Bill

7. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Perhaps he meant .3 cents per foot. As in 3 tenths of a cent. Even so, 132/acre
    Roscioli Landscaping

8. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    There is no easy formula for cutting, because of the wide variety of factors involved. The most important thing, however, is knowing your market. What will you be cutting?

Out Clarke's way, you'll get $35/acre, because he's cutting things big enough to measure in that scale, but out here I get $35 for 5000 square feet. That means I charge the same for nearly 1/10 the size!

The difference, of course, is that 5000-6000 square foot is as big as it gets in my area, so I have to use much smaller machines than he for cutting. Primarily, I use 21" machines whilst he is undoubtedly using something in the Z range. If I quoted an acre of property, I'd have to quote it in the range of $275/cut!

So, where you are going to have to start is in knowing your market. What are you going to be cutting? Then, you have to figure out how long it's going to take you to cut on your scale. Then, you have to do some math. That's the fun part.
    Thomas Cummings
    Cummings Quality Lawn Care

9. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    My average size account is 1 acre.. so I find that $1 - $1.25 per thousand works pretty good for me.. but that's me.
    Tom - Lawn-Scapes of Maryland, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread