+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil capacity of CV20S on XW2000-60

1. Join Date
    Apr 2002

Oil capacity of CV20S on XW2000-60

Hello!

I wondered if anyone knew offhand the total oil capacity of a Kohler 20 h.p. Command engine WITH an Amsoil 1 micron filter on a Dixie Chopper XW2000-60. The manual for the Kohler engine states that it requires 2 quarts for a oil & filter change, but I know that the Amsoil filter and lines leading to it bring the total oil capacity up somewhat.

Also, are those Amsoil 1 micron filters available at auto parts stores, etc.? I've bought them from the Dixie Chopper dealer in the past, but he is located quite a distance from my house, and it would be much more convenient to get them locally....I thought maybe if they're used for other applications, they might be widely available....I can call around to some auto parts stores in the morning, but hoped that someone out here had some experience with this

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    if you are not changing any oil filter it will take 2 Quarts. If you change the kohler filter you have to fill the filter with oil until it can't absorb any more oil. Have yet to do an amsoil filter change because I do not have 500 hours on my machine. So maybe some else can help you out if you change both filters how much oil it will take.
    nick

3. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Look in the phone book for an amsoil dealer,or go to www.amsoil.com. Most Amsoil dealer are independant working out of their house. The hoses and filter are less then 1/2 Qt. additional oil. Hope this helps
    [COLOR=Blue]BURKHEIMER EQUIPMENT
    Aberdeen,Maryland 21001-1104
    phone (410)734-4242
    Maryland's OLDEST DIXIE DEALER SINCE(1993)
    e-mail burkheimer@hotmail.com

4. Join Date
    Apr 2002

Thanks for the input....

Thanks, guys, for the input on the oil filter change.....

But now I'm wondering about something else.....the Dixie Chopper folks recommend changing the Amsoil filter annually or after 500 hours,and the Kohler folks recommend changing the oil at least at 100 hours, and the Kohler filter at 200 hours. But in my case, my Dixie Chopper is used only for cutting our couple of acres, and even though it's a few years old, it only has 90 hours on it. I've already changed the oil and both the Kohler and Amsoil filters, but now I'm wondering what intervals would be best.

Of course, I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish, and want to take the best possible care of my DC, so I wonder if both filters should be changed annually, even if only 30 or 40 hours are put on the machine each season?

Guess this question doesn't come up too often, since most of you guys log plenty of hours on your DCs every season!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    should hold approx. 2.25 quarts complete.

Know Safety, No Pain!
    No Safety, Know Pain!!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    oops, forgot to tell you....the amsoil filter with remote is approx. 1 quart capacity.

Know Safety, No Pain!
    No Safety, Know Pain!!

7. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    go to Elmlawnsite.com and read the dc maintenance tips
    nick

8. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    500 hours on an oil filter change?

The commercial engines used on golf course equipment call for oil filter changes from as low as 50 hours on small gasoline engine powered equipment to a maximum of 250 hours on larger diesel engine powered equipment that hold many gallons of engine oil.

Most commercial engine manufacturers recommend engine oil changes at 90 day intervals regardless of engine hours.

Learn something new everyday I guess.

Bill
    Of course this is just my humble but well thought out opinion.
    Bill

9. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    smoot,

You should change the oil and filters at a minimum of annually. Even though you are not getting up to the hour minimum the oil still picks up contaminates like acids and moisture that can be harmfull to your engine.

+ Reply to Thread