+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tach for mower RPMs

1. Join Date
    Nov 2001

Tach for mower RPMs

What kind of portable tach is everybody using? I would like to order one somewhere online preferraly so any insight on brand and place to order one would be great! Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    i love my little tiny tach that i got from my exmark dealer . just rap the red wire around the spark plug wire, 4 times, and read the digital reading while setting on the mower. think it was around 40.00

3. Join Date
    Dec 2001

I just bought one!!

Mine is digital, one wire hook up (to spark plug).

Its made by "SenDEC Corporation". It has that annoying 'flash alert' at every 25 hours, but its the only one I could find. I found mine at the Toro dealer,the Exmark dealer here didn't have one...which would work.

I gave $39.95 for mine.

All the package has is an address..
    SenDEC Corporation
    57 Waln St
    Wellsboro, PA 16901

Billy

4. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    I think my dealer has the same small tiny tach but I was referring to one like their shop version that just has a simple alligator clip on one wire to hook it up and it is used on all different machines that way.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    The Exmark dealer had one like that, but I didn't like it. It worked by just sitting on top of the engine, while running. Funny looking thing, it was round, looked like a big cup holder.

The bad thing was it was analogue! It had 2 small dials which would rotate to a pointer to give the read out.

It was made by Briggs & Stratton, I think it was $30.00.

I would think you could attach a small alligator clip to a regular tiny tach.

Billy

6. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Snap-On makes one, its a bit on the salty side though!

I would just buy the SenDec one. I have one, and it's OK for what I'm using it for. The digits are about the size of the ones on a digital wristwatch. Kinda small compared to the LARGE 3/8" size of Tiny Tach. The GOOD thing is that you dont need the wire for it to work! Just take it and hold it up to the spark plug wire! Or you could just wrap the wire around whatever machine you want, then just unhook it later.

I personallly have on on the SCAG and the Lazer.
    TLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2V
    2006 60" Hustler SuperZ 28hp EFI
    1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki
    1998 21" Lawn-Boy 6.5hp Staggered wheel push
    Various Echo 2 Cycle equipment

7. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    After reading responces I did some searching and came up with the one my dealer uses,

http://www.sendec.com/meters/html/sts5000.html

What all do you guys think? I think that one will work great in the manner I was looking for. Until now I had nnot been able to find that particular one.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Briggs-Stratton makes a vibra-tach Part # 19200 for about $20. It will work on any engine including electric, 4 cycle or 2-cycle. You just set it on top of flywheel cover or any other flat portion of engine. I have checked acuracy against other tachs and was impressed. My dealer/mechanic uses them in his shop.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Can't find one on web right away, but my dealer got me a good electronic tach years ago. Used the vibra-tach but they fall apart after a few years.

There were a number of tachs in the dealer Echo accessory catalog. I got the Pulse PET-1000, made by Oppama Industry Co, Ltd., Japan. I got this mainly for 2-cycle engines. Cost was around $70-80. It will work on 1 & 2 cylinder 2 cycles, and on 2 & 4 cylinder 4 cycles.

The tach can just be held near spark wire if easily accessible, or you can plug in a wire to unit and clamp onto spark wire if necessary. Great multiple use tool.
    Jim
    North central Indiana
    Learn About Turfgrass

10. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Jay I have the SenDec and it works as promised. However, every 25-hours of operation, it has a NAG message reminding you to change oil/lube. Other than the nag screen I like it. I paid 34.95 at my Toro dealer.
    Emerald Greenscapes of Frederick.

AOL IM ZbearDCA

11. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I put tiny tachs on all my equipment. That way while in use I can see what its doing. Plus, it is also a hour meter. Many of my motors didn't come with hour meters so this really helps.
    Season 2002 in memory of my Dad and Eric ELM, I will miss you both.

If your not the lead dog, the view never changes!

12. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    I use the tiny tach on my walk behinds mainly because it has an hr. meter. I have to replace them about every 2yrs because this Fla. sun dries out the plastic face plate and it cracks, letting moisture in. But for $40 every 2yrs, it's a good deal. Russ

13. Join Date
    Mar 2002

Tiny Tach Here also

Just installed a Tiny-Tach on my new Exmark 32 on Friday night.. So far, works great..

Show's the RPM's and the hours used, so it's great . I'd buy another if I needed one. :-)

Gary

+ Reply to Thread