+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gator Blades vs "Wave" Blades ?

1. Join Date
    Jun 2002

Gator Blades vs "Wave" Blades ?

I'm converting my lil ZTR to a dedicated mulcher and wondered if anyone here has experience with the "Gator" Blades vs your standard "Wave" Mulching Blade?
    I need something that will of course mulch ,but w/o a lot of blow out....I don't ask for much ,eh?

BTW: Has anyone fabbed their own block-off plate when one wasn't available for your brand mower? I was thinking of somethng along the lines of Dixie Choppers' setup ,but I couldn't figure out why they used expanded metal instead of a solid block-off plate????

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    gators will cause less blow out.
    the mulcher on the lazer with gators on top is my best sucktion set up . which means in certain situation ,it causews blow out.
    with mulchers and high lifts ,i can mulch leaves in heavy rain. as unbelievable as that sounds.of course deck set low. definitly for special situations. once w this combo and wide open ,i sucked a cast iron meter plate into the blades. hard to believe but i gurantee it happened. shattered the cast iron and wharped a couple of blades.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Well, I cant understand the perforated OCDC on the Dixies either. The holes let some grass pass through, then it clogged and prevented all grass from shooting out anyway. They should just make them solid and be done with the holes.

If your going to make a dedicated mulch plate, you need to do more than just block off the discharge. What type of mower do you have? Make sure whatever kind of plate you make that if runs in and follows the contour of the discharge blade arc. Truthfully, each blade should have its own shrouded mulch plate.

Good Luck though!
    TLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2V
    2006 60" Hustler SuperZ 28hp EFI
    1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki
    1998 21" Lawn-Boy 6.5hp Staggered wheel push
    Various Echo 2 Cycle equipment

4. Join Date
    Jun 2002
    I guess I should have given a lil more detail about what I plan on using it for. The new area I'm cutting has quite a few Islands,and I don't want to blow the grass onto the street or into the beds,,,so I said "hey why not make it a mulcher??" The high lift blades that are on it blow clippings 12ft out,that's fine for the heavy spring growth in the wide open areas,but I don't want that in the confined areas,,,too many cars and tight places all around the islands.
    I'm not going to need it for leaves because all the trees are very young (hardly any leaves to clean up in the fall) just weekly grass mulching.
    I just got back from a local dealer that can get blades from http://rotarycorp.com/ they don't list a mulcher blade for my little ZTR but they have some that match the measured size of it. strange ,eh?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Well I have a Dixie with the mulcher cover with the holes in it. When I?m doing leaves and put it down, I get some blowout on the front of the deck, but with it up I never get any blowout. I figure the holes were put in the plate to minimize the blowout.

I made a mulcher plate for my Toro WB out of plain expanded metal and it works real good in tall grass.

+ Reply to Thread