+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trailer

1. Join Date
    Dec 2001

Trailer

I saw a 5X10 trailer up at Lowe's today for about $538 I think, brand new. Has gate too. Anyone have anything to say about these? I've been looking for a 5X10, think I should go for this?

Hank

2. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    At that price I would sell it every Fall and buy a new one every Spring.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2001

Re: Trailer

Originally posted by TurfKingLawn
    I saw a 5X10 trailer up at Lowe's today for about $538 I think, brand new. Has gate too. Anyone have anything to say about these? I've been looking for a 5X10, think I should go for this?

Hank
    Lowe's was selling it?
    Chuck Sinclair
    Willow Brooke Landscape
    Http://www.wblandscape.com

wblandscape

4. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Yep, Lowe's was selling it.
    What you think?

Hank

5. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I'd look around. We have a trailer dealer close, and they advertise a 6 1/2' x 12' with A-frame, jack and gate for $595.00. And thats NEW. Of course I live in Tennessee which could make a difference.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by TurfKingLawn
    Yep, Lowe's was selling it.
    What you think?

Hank
    Hank,

To get that trailer here you would pay at least $1500.00 no kidding!
    Chuck Sinclair
    Willow Brooke Landscape
    Http://www.wblandscape.com

wblandscape

7. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Yeah, around here, you can't get them that cheap.

Hank

8. Join Date
    Dec 2001

$1500???!!!

Wow, I didn't know that a 5x10 open trailer could run $1500.00! I guess I'll probably buy it, it looks like a good deal to me. I may go get a hitch ready on my truck tomorrow! Thanks everyone.

Hank

9. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    my 5 x 10 costed about $825 brand new. it came with a gate and cca treated floors. i am glad i bought it but will be upggrading next year to at least a 6.5 x 14. soooo for 500 and some change i would buy it!!!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Hank, I thought you didnt even have a drivers license?
    Evan

My Rig

11. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Hank

The lowes trailer is more than likely designed for a home owner use. Spot welded and light wieght steel etc. It might be a good starter trailer but don't look for it to last. Remember if you buy a good commerical grade trailer you will make up the difference the first time it does not break down.

You might not always get what you pay for. But you darn sure don't get more than you pay for.
    May you always be healthly wealthly and wise

Ric

12. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I would bet it is the same one Lowes sells down here, and they are light duty and cheap built. I looked at them here and was not impressed: light axles, small wheels,cheap tires,poor welds. Well, you get the picture. Home Depot sells trailers just about like the Lowes trailers. These places are not selling commercial grade trailers. You would be better off looking for a good used, heavy duty trailer.
    Jeff Thomas
    Jeffco Enterprises
    (stump grinding/land clearing/mowing)

13. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    bj's, lowes, home depot............... all got the same type of trailer for dirt cheap dirt quality. get my picture?
    Scottie Schmidt Jr.
    www.nutrasoils.com
    www.stslawncare.com

14. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Watch the papper for used, or save your money. How much more would a law suite cost due to trailer coming apart going down the road.

15. Join Date
    Dec 2001

Yeah, that's why I was asking about it, I wasn't sure if it was going to be cheap or not. I think what I may do is there is a metal shop on the outskirts of town, may go down there and check out their trailers. I've been looking in the paper and Truck Trader, but no decent trailers...

And for Evan, no, I don't drive yet, but I will next spring, I just want to get everything ready to roll.

Thanks for helping me not make a big ol' mistake.

Hank

16. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Hank, don't just give your dollars away search for a daul wheel something that will help in long run.
    Antonio
    Lawnzzz/Lawncare Maintenance

17. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Yeah, I would like a dual axle trailer, but I don't think I have a big enough truck, I don't want to put a big strang on the engine. I have a 1994 Ford Ranger, extended cab, 4.0L V6. The most I'd have on the trailer for a while is a lawn tractor and a 21", and towards mid to late season next year I should have a 44" w/b. I could get buy until I can afford a bigger truck, and when I can afford that, I should be able to afford a Z, then I'll get a dual axle. I still have plenty of time to think about this.

Hank

18. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I pulled a 7x20 enclosed trailer from columbus to toledo full of furnature, did it strain my dakota schitt yes it did but it has 5 times the drag that a 6x16' would put on a vehicle, most midsized pickup trucks(Dakota,Ranger,S~10) if they have a V~6 they can usualy pull #5000 without a problem if you have the right hitch, the only way I was able to pull that 20'er was because it had a weight distributing hitch. A 6'x16' landscape trailer empty weights in at around #1000 ad a z-rider and the weight jumps to a whopping #2000-#2500 ad a 21" #100 wow a total of #2700 max sure your ranger will pull it but you will sure as hell feel that trailer behind you if you buy a single axle trailer, another thing to remember is that a single axle trailer will find every bump in the road where as a tandem will float over the hole most of the time without you noticing it.
    Keep looking !
    NCLS LLC.? Nate's Lawn Service
    I like a nice piece of grass

19. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    TurfKingLawn:
    I would get a trailer from someone that makes them or at least does welding. All you need is a 5x8 or a 6x10. You do not need a dual axle trailer. I have a ranger 4.0 and pull a 5.5x9.5 trailer. My 60" Chopper fits perfectly on it. My trailer is made of angle iron and is really tough. I don't know what Big Nate is talking about when he says you will feel every bump w/ single wheels. That is not true. I almost forget I am pulling a trailer. If you go to someone that makes the trailer they will cut you deal on trading up to bigger trailer. You are on the right track.
    LawnWorks
    "Where the green grass grows..."
    ford690979329@aol.com

20. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Yes that is a very good price. Would be around 900 here.

+ Reply to Thread