+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10 acres to mow! which way to go?

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002

10 acres to mow! which way to go?

I have a small farm, which includes about 10 acres of grass to mow. I'm currently using a tractor \bush hog and toro lawn tractor. It takes me about 12 hours to cut the grass Ive narrowed my choices down to : Kubota ZD28 60" $9800, Howard Price Blazer 360Z 60" with a Honda 24 $5900, or just get a finish mower for my tractor. I desperately need to cut mowing time. the terrain is mostly flat. The grass differs from bahia to st.augustine to centipede. I appreciate all the info i've gleened from this site so far. thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i wouldnt spent that much for a kubota, they are nice, but you can get DIXIE CHOPPER xw-2400-60, it has a 24hp honda. i orderd mine with the XF wheel motors, which takes you from 11 mph to 13 mph +! i would stay away from the kohler engines (dont want to start ANY THING!) i have used the 25hp kohlers, nice engines, but the fuel ecconomy, and the lifter noise is enough to drive you crazy! i paid about $8000 for my dixie, plus tax and other accessories.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    I'd go with a ZTR over the finishing mower behind the tractor. You're still going to be spending a lot of time mowing with the tractor using a finishing mower, due to slower ground speed. Try to demo some of your choices of ZTR's on your property, to see which one you prefer.
    Rich
    Davis Total Lawn Care
    www.davistotallawn.com
    TDA # 1543

dtlc logo

4. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    crosbyclan,

Is there a reason your sticking to 60" units?

For 10 acres that your "NOT" getting paid to mow, I'd want to finish as fast as possible. Most of the time the 72" version of a ZTR is only $500-1000 more.

I'm not familiar with the mowers that you mentioned, but that Blazer thing sounds a little cheap for less than $6k? Remember....You get what you pay for!

With a 72" ZTR, you should be knocking that 10 acres out in a little over 2 hours. Figure 3 TOTAL with trimming!

My choices:

72" Lazer w/ 26hp EFI
    72" Chopper with EFI or 25hp Kohler
    72" Hustler Super Z w/ 25hp Kawi

These are all gas powered machines that would/should cost less than $10k.

Then you have the diesels, which jump those prices up to $13k+.

Like I said, you could go with the 60" decks, but for the slight upcharge of the 1 foot wider deck, I feel it would be worth it for you.

Good Luck!
    TLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2V
    2006 60" Hustler SuperZ 28hp EFI
    1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki
    1998 21" Lawn-Boy 6.5hp Staggered wheel push
    Various Echo 2 Cycle equipment

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks yall. I had considered a 72" deck, but I thought it might become a hassle around the pool and house. I want to make sure whatever I buy has enough power. this is why the Kubota diesel was at the top of my list. That, and I have plenty of diesel on hand.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2002
    If you've got the cash, Kuboto diesels are fine machines. I know a guy been in business 10 years, owned just about every brand. Runs ONLY Kubota's and Walkers now. He does alot of BIG areas. Swears they're the best mowers he's ever run.

Scott

7. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Originally posted by TLS
    crosbyclan,

My choices:

72" Lazer w/ 26hp EFI
    72" Chopper with EFI or 25hp Kohler
    72" Hustler Super Z w/ 25hp Kawi

Like I said, you could go with the 60" decks, but for the slight upcharge of the 1 foot wider deck, I feel it would be worth it for you.

Good Luck!
    Although good choices, you wont be buying til next year, correct? Next year eXmark is putting 28EFIs on the lazers. There would be plenty of power for the 72" with the 28hp Kohler. Dixie Chopper is the same way. They are offering the 28EFI and 30Generac in 72" XT series. Hustler is reportedly putting a LC Kaw on their z's next year too. My choices:

1) DC XT 3000-72
    2) eXmark Lazer 28EFI 72"
    3) Super Z 27KawLC 72"
    Pleased to use Exmark, Redmax, and Shindaiwa products.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    GET AS MANY INCHES AS POSSIBLE. I WENT FROM A 48 TO 62 ON MY WALKER. IT WAS DIFFICULT AROUND THE HOUSE AT FIRST BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT NOW. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD DEFFINETELY CONSIDER A 72" A FOOT EACH PASS MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.
    A CUT ABOVE LAWN AND LANDSCAPE

9. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    10 acres, your house? Why not plant something that can be harvested in the biggest part of it and finish mow the areas around the house. Or, fence it in and buy some horses. A nice white fence and a couple of fine horses would trump even the nicest stripes or patterns! IMHO
    http://community.webtv.net/maxforce/NEVERAGAIN

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    horses require too much time. The thought has crossed my mind, but you have to be dedicated or posess alot of disposable income. I have neither. Appreciate the advice everyone.

11. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go for the kubota, there the best out there.

12. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    got to agree with tony on the horses. only id put cows on it ,or lease it out as pasture. anything to avoid mowin 10 acres im not gettin paid to mow. to each his on tho. good luck.

13. Join Date
    Jun 2002
    I have a small horse farm (4 horses) and mow about 8 acres of land. Until this year I mowed with a John Deere 650 and 5-foot finish mower. This, I thought, was the best it would ever be, not true. We purchased a Toro Z-Master 150 with a 52-inch deck. This mower is just unbelievable, sold my finish mower 3 weeks later. OK, I don?t ?cut grass? on all 8 acres because the horses eat a lot of it but I still have to mower the whole pasture just to keep the weeds down. Paid $6,600.00 for the mower. Was it worth it? Sure was, cut my time spent mowing down by 2/3. Not only that my lawn tractor sits idle I could sell it I don?t use it any more. My wife loves the new mower and in fact I love to see my 12 year old out mowing the pastures as well.

14. Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by lahanko
    I have a small horse farm...
    How small are the horses?

Sorry, I just couldn't pass that up.

15. Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Mowerdude;

Good one! ???

Actually we have Arabians and I guess they are considered small, so there.

16. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    10 acres and you already have a tractor, I say grow hay. Cut it and store it until fall. Then start selling.
    Season 2002 in memory of my Dad and Eric ELM, I will miss you both.

If your not the lead dog, the view never changes!

17. Join Date
    Oct 2002

The ten acres is lawn. I have an additional tillable 40 or so acres that I plan on doing something with. Hay is one of my options. I need somethig that doesnt require alot of time and can put money in my pocket. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

18. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would say go with the kabota. Yes, it is more pricie, but you could get the dessiel and not mow the grass every week. You could mow every other week. I know a guy that uses a kabota and he loves it. HE has mowed through grass that was 10 in higher than the finished highth and had every few clumps. that is what i would do.

19. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks all. Went with the Kubota ZD28 with the 60'' deck. All I can say is OH MY GOD!! These thigs should be illegal. So much power and speed I cut the grass in five hours. Im a newby at ZTR's, so im sure this will not be my best time. This thing would not bog down. I cut 6'' grass down to 2'' with one pass at about half to three quarters speed. I am a very happy man.

20. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    could you give me an estimate on how much the kubota was?

+ Reply to Thread