+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pick-up Truck Dump Beds

1. Join Date
    Sep 2002

Pick-up Truck Dump Beds

What do you guys think about converting a pick-up truck's bed to a dumb bed? Also, what about slide-in dumb beds? I have a 2001 Chevy 4x4, dually, and maybe it would just be easier to buy an old dump truck, because I can see fenders getting in the way of loading, dunno? Any help in this area would be appreciated!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Pick-up bodys are not made to be flexed as in dumping. The dump inserts are heavy and cost about the same as a platform dump body. Talk to a truck body shop to see whats availible in your area. A platform dump body is a lot more user friendly for a wider varity of uses as compared to the dump insert.

Gene

3. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    I think I will just try to find an old dump truck. The prices for a plat-form dump inserts that I have found are around $2500.00-$4500.00. The prices for converting truck bed to dump is under $1000.00. I should be able to find a dump truck from $1000.00 to $4500.00, I would think, and not mess up a $35000.00 dually! I have been thinking about this all day long, and I believe that this would eliminate alot of head aches in the future.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2002
    except for it breaking down all the time puttin a dump bed on your truck wouldnt mess it up btw... would make it do what u want it to do

5. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    EZ-Dumper is the way to go just pick up a used for $1000

worth every penny of it.
    Antonio
    Lawnzzz/Lawncare Maintenance

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am looking at getting an insert too. I was throwing around the idea of buying a dump body but for around $1900 I can get an insert for the 1 ton I have. Its paid off and I don't feel like buying another $30000+ truck right now. Anyone have much luck with making a leaf box on an insert? Does it hold enough to make it worth while?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Good ???????

I just got mine,a little to late anyway I hope we can get some help on a box.
    Antonio

8. Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Originally posted by LB Landscaping
    Anyone have much luck with making a leaf box on an insert? Does it hold enough to make it worth while?
    The guys that I pay to suck up my customers leaves use an EZ Dump insert with a box on it and they pull a tow behind leaf loader. Not really sure how many yards of material thier box holds. It was just about full when they sucked up the leaves from a 1/2 acre property with a good amount of leaves last week.
    But I know they've also done as many as 4 small lawns before being full. It looks to me that they should go about a foot higher with the box.

I guess it really depends on the size of the lawns in your area.
    But I know it sure beats me making 2 or 3 trips to the dump with my trailer full of leaves from one lawn!
    Jonathan
    Makin' The Cut
    Lawn & Landscape Maintenance

9. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Anyone have much luck with making a leaf box on an insert? Does it hold enough to make it worth while?
    Jim (GroundKprs) has one that he had built on a trailer. If you search, i think he has posted pics on this site.
    Pleased to use Exmark, Redmax, and Shindaiwa products.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Another option, what I might do in a couple of years..
    Buy a low mileage 1-ton cab & chassis, then get a dump kit for a round $1500 to convert it to a flat bed dump with removable sides.

Billy

11. Join Date
    Dec 2002

Dump insert

Ive got a Truck Craft insert.. Very happy with it,, had it for about 6 years now.. It's the aluminum one. very light ,but pricy, however, still alot cheaper than another truck.. The only bad thing is the size.. its' small holds two yards up to the rails, about 4 or 5 to the top of the boards I made, but the truck cnat handle that much.. unless its just leaves or mulch.. but gras clippings cant go higher than 3 yards.. It's also tight , so if your working with pallets, or off of them you can only really get one or two in the bed and they are tight to the sides, so field stone you really cant get in cause the stone is usually hangin off the sides of the pallet... Mine can lift 5k lbs so it get s the job done ... and has proven to be reliable... would get another one... But at this point need a mch bigger truck like an F550 with a grain body about 14' long...
    NJLCA
    NJGCMA / GCETA

12. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I am looking at getting an insert too. I was throwing around the idea of buying a dump body but for around $1900 I can get an insert for the 1 ton I have. Its paid off and I don't feel like buying another $30000+ truck right now. Anyone have much luck with making a leaf box on an insert? Does it hold enough to make it worth while?

Got a couple more leaf cleanups just got a used giant vac,about to build a leaf box on a insert will post some picture's.
    Antonio

13. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hey Lawnzzz I look forward to seeing the pictures. I am probably going to be making up a similar set up so it would be cool to get an idea. Thanks, Jeff

14. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Hey Lawnzzz I look forward to seeing the pictures. I am probably going to be making up a similar set up so it would be cool to get an idea. Thanks, Jeff
    I did this today this is rite on the rails of the insert,not finish.
    Have to make the door.
    Attached Images  
    Antonio

15. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Inside
    Attached Images  
    Antonio

16. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Looks good, nice job Lawnzzz, Could you post a picture of the whole truck (side view) so I can get an idea on how big the box is??? Thanks for posting the others.

17. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I've been doing more research, I found some old 2-ton dump trucks, but they're too tall, and aren't set up very well for landscape work....really need a flat bed. One tons are priced out of this world around here. So, I'm gonna buy a 14' tandem trailer, and put a dump on it.
    I talked to a buddy of mine yesterday who built a Ford 3/4 ton. I can buy a used scissor lift through him, and get the hydralics from Northern to make it...Hopefully next year 'round this time I'll have it.

Billy

18. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Looks good, nice job Lawnzzz, Could you post a picture of the whole truck (side view) so I can get an idea on how big the box is??? Thanks for posting the others.
    Ok all I have to do is cut the center hole and put the bottom on the door.

Like the swing door better,will mount the vac on tailgate.

Antonio
    Antonio

19. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Here it is. Sorry problem with puter.
    Antonio

20. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Here it is!!!
    Attached Images