+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many hours do you have on your kohler

1. Join Date
    Dec 2001

How many hours do you have on your kohler

I stopped in at lescos today and the mechanic had removed a kohler engine off a dc to replace it with kaw. Ive got a lazer with a 23 kohler and was wondering if anyone has had problems with them. So far ....knock on wood , mine is running good.
    Tom

2. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I have 500 on my CV23S Kohler Command and have had no problems. My old employer has a CH22S Kohler Command on a Lazer with 3000 hrs. and no problems with it either.
    Kane Lawn Care

3. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    ABOUT 1200 OR SO LAST TIME I LOOKED. SHES RUNNING STRONG
    i run it pretty hard tho so we ll see how it goes.20 command

4. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I have a Walker with 20 HP Kohler thats going on 2200 hours. It may be time for a new carb but over all the engin has been good.

Gene

5. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    I have 700 on my kohler 25hp. No problems yet.
    Todd
    GreenQuest Lawn Care

6. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I have about 1800 on my Lazer 25 Kohler. Runs great. Cleaned the carb about two months ago.
    Jeff

7. Eric ELM is offline Honorary Administrator & LawnForums.Com Founder
    I have 3,830 hours on my CV22 Kohler on my Dixie Chopper. I did put on a new carberator at 3,600 hours. It still sounds great and I plan on still using it as a main mower next season.
    ELMLawnsite Please Visit Our Sponsors Websites
    ^Click the LAWN for my Website~~~Click on their banners
    ^This lawn was cut with a 2002 XW2600 EFI Dixie Chopper

8. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    1 Kohler has around 1300 and another has almost 1000. Both are in great shape.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Great to hear all the possitive feedback. What's the secret to getting the most out of an engine?
    Tom

10. Join Date
    Dec 2001

Running GOOD!!!!!!!!

I'm ready to turn up 1000 hr's on my Walker MT w/ 20HP Kolher Command. When I got it, it was not maintained very well and used a quart of oil in less than 100 hr's. Since I've had it, it's been maintained on a regular basis. I switched the engine over to Mobil 1 10w30w and to my SURPRISE the hours kind of got away from me and when I needed to add maybe a thimble full of oil it had 144 hr's on that oil. I was totally IMPRESSED and now SWEAR by using Mobil 1 in everything, hydro's,gear drives any place I can use it I do. I'm HOPING to get half as many hours out of her that Eric has on his OLD DIXIE. I will not COMPLAIN if it goes the 4,000 hr's that I'm sure he will be turning up next season. When I get a new mower (WALKER) of coarse I will probably get the 20HP again. We'll see what's around when this one gives out.

Mowman

11. Join Date
    Dec 2001

NO SECRET!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that preforming the PROPER mainteance, changing the oil and filter, cleaning the cooling fins and just keeping it CLEAN is the KEY to getting LONG LIFE out of any engine. That's been my SECRET to every car,truck,mower, or anything JUST keep it maintained on a regular basis.
    That's my SECRET!!!!!!!!!

Mowman

12. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    tom i think its just good maintenance. clean oil ,good gas,
    air filter clean,and last use the right motor for the job you are asking it to do.later now.

13. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    I got a Wa;lker with 900 on Kohler 25.
    1150 on DC with Kohler 25

14. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I have one with 1200 hours and one with 800 both run fine.
    Had to clean the carb on one after it got some bad gas in it a year ago other then that never had any problems with either of them just routine maintenance.

Dan

15. Eric ELM is offline Honorary Administrator & LawnForums.Com Founder
    I forgot to mention that besides the one with over 3,800 hours, I had one Kohler Magnum with 2,500 hours I sold to a friend that now has over 2,800 hours on it, another old Magnum with 2,000 hours I traded in and I now have 190 hours on the 2002 Kohler 26 hp EFI.

The secret to keeping them running that long for me is the Filters and Coolers on the Dixie Choppers and I add Tufoil to the oil on mine. Tufoil is so slick it is in the Guiness Book of Records. I've run it in all my 4 cycle engines for over 10 years. If you want to read about it, go to www.tufoil.com to read all about it. Up until last year, I ran Penzoil in them, but now I'm using Shell Rotella T 15 W 40 in all of them since it is a great diesel oil and will work in gas engines too.

When they test oils and additives, they put some oil on bearings and turn them under a lot of pressure to simulate years of use in a short period. The longest any additive was able to take this test before smoking was about 12 minutes. The top 25 additives were tested on this ball bearing test. Using Tufoil on the bearings, they ran the test for 16 days before they started to smoke.

16. Join Date
    Nov 2001

RUNING GREAT

Have only a miner 800hrs on mine, and learned this much for sure the more hours you have on it the better it run, I LOVE IT.
    CLARKE

CLARKE'S TOTAL LAWN CARE
    OUR BUSINESS IS ALWAYS GROWING

17. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    I have over 800 hours on the dc with the cv20 kohler. I change oil and filter every 50 hours. It is starting to smoke a little bit, think it is the valve seals.

18. Eric ELM is offline Honorary Administrator & LawnForums.Com Founder
    Turf Cutters, is this just at start up?

That can be a normal thing on some mowers. Kaw 25 hp motors are noted for this, at least the ones I've been around. My old Kohler smokes a bit at times, but it never uses enough oil between oil changes (50 hours) so that I need to add any.

The Kohlers smaller than 25 hp have cast iron sleeves and I feel they will last longer than the 25 and 26's, but time will tell. I've heard of 25 hp Kohlers with over 3,000 hours on them.

19. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    MY Kohler 25 (2001) smokes at startup almost every time until the oil level gets about a pint low on the dipstick. I believe it has a lot to do with the back-end down rake that a Dixie has. It allows a little oil to run in the cylinders until the oil gets a little low.

20. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Crabgrassman;

That should not do that, as with many WB's the front is lower than the back.

You have a problem.

Does it only do that when it's cold?

If so your valve guide seals are worn.

Does it do that all the time?

If so sounds like a blown gasket.

You could also have premature ring falure.

You don't want to be running it a quart low all the time, the oil helps cool the engine.

Turf Cutters;

My vert Kohler 22hp's do that at start up when cold, but they don't use any oil. It's not the valve guide seals if only at start up. It should be classified as normal, if no use of oil.
    "If you're stupid, you deserve to suffer"