+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What will kill liriope?

1. Join Date
    Dec 2001

What will kill liriope?

I have a customer that wants several feet of this stuff killed dead. I've sprayed every herbicide I have over the top of it and it hasn't touched it, so when they asked me to do this, I had no idea what would do it. I'm looking for something that will do a one-spray kill. Anyone know?
    -Jeff
    SC Cat. 03 Lic. # C0013339
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

2. Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Roundup???

Doesn't Roundup kill Liriope?

If not, I don't know what's in it, but I've got some stuff called TVK Total Vegitation Killer and it kills everything. It's probably Gasoline, but it works.
    Scott
    Green Pastures Landscaping

3. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Scott,
    I've been spraying roundup over the top of monkey grass for a while now and it doesn't even phase it. Just keeps on trucking. What's that TVK that you've got?
    -Jeff
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    what is your application rate for roundup? i use r/u pro all the time and have no problem. you may want to try the new quick pro, supposedly it has a little more kick..

5. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Well, I went with a more cost-effective way, Sahara. I did discover that the label on the round-up type chemicals will allow a 10% solution ... I've been using about a 3%. Will let you all know how it goes.
    -Jeff
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    tell lesco you want a sample of r/u pro dry. they should have it in packets, this way you will save a ton by not having to buy 2.5gallon containers.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    CSRA,
    What kind of liriope are you trying to get rid of. Are these large specimens of dark green liriope or are they verigated liriope. Verigated liriope can tend to be a pain. Verigated liriope has white lines running through it. If they are just regular old dark green plants then unfortunately, pulling out the tap root is the best way to knock it out. If you really need to spray them, it would depend on what you have around them that you want to keep. You need to be careful because some products will drift taking out other plants later. Doubt this helps but let me know more and I can give you a better answer.
    Todd Perkins

8. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    This is a question I would love to have an answer to. I have had no luck with Roundup. Have had mixed results using Primatol mixed with kerosene. Hat to use it though as that mixture can cause a disaster if it gets anywhere you do not want it.
    Jeff Thomas
    Jeffco Enterprises
    (stump grinding/land clearing/mowing)

9. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    IP,
    I considered the drift factor, you're right about that. Thing is, they're killing everything out there anyway ... it's the wildest thing I've seen in a while. This is the dark green swamp grass, not the variegated stuff. Will let you know the results.
    -Jeff
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

10. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    CSRA,
    Well if your not concerned with anything else than you might want to try Tordon RTU if you can find any. Thats a Dow product. You could also try Vegemec which is a PBI Gordon product. Pramatol is a good ground sterilent but like mentioned before, can drift as much as 15 feet from where you apply it. Good luck, let me know how it goes.
    Todd Perkins

11. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    a 15 foot drift? Wow.

I applied some Sahara there but I don't think that I got good soil contact, since after a week there was no sign of it dying out. So last week I applied Prosecutor @10% w/sticker. Will see how that does.
    -Jeff
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

12. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    roundup/prosecutor/glyphosate based products are completely
    different from sahara or pramitol which are both soil sterilants.
    sahara and pramitol both drift and can prevent vegetative growth up to a year. glyphosate usually works in a week or two depending on concentration and combination of other chemicals like scythe or "quikpro".

you never stated what is surrounding the liriope, whether its pavement or if there is turf or other plants around.

if its a few feet, isn't it quicker to just dig out by hand?

13. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Yes, I'm familiar with the difference between sterilants and glyphosate but thanks for that review ... there is a problem with digging it out, besides it being outside of the contract and no extra money. Namely, there's about 150 to 200 fet of it, ranging from 6 inches wide to 5 feet wide, right in an iron fence. Me and my shovel went somewhere else!

There were plants around this but they've all been removed by the HOA. Other than that, concrete sidewalk is there.
    -Jeff
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

14. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    I have both dark green and variegated liriope in my yard. The variegated is not a "runner" so it stays where you plant it....just bigger every year.

The dark green is very aggressive and will spread quickly. I find it easy controlled with a roundup mixture of about double the normal 1.5 oz/gallon ( in other words, 3 oz./gal).

It never seems like it's working for about 10 - 14 days then the plants yellow and die.

Are you comfortable you are using a strong enough Roundup mixture and then giving it enough time?

If so, you may have come across the varietal "liriopus kudzukus". It will eventually engulf the entire town so there's no hope!!

Good Luck and let us know what finally gets it!.

P.S. If you're not from the South, the Kudzu joke may not mean much....Sorry.

15. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Can you guys use Diquat? If you can, you may want to consider Reward with a 10% glyphosate spike for quick results.

16. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Not trying to be funny but I had to remove alot of that stuff myself once on a renovation I did .I endedup digging it all up and tilling afterwards.Good luck.
    "Service your customers or someone else will"

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton, 03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds

17. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Historically, the glyphosate that I've sprayed OTT of liriope has been 3oz. per gallon, with surfactant, no change at all. Don't know yet about this 10% solution, it was raining on Thursday so I didn't go around to check it. Should know by Thurs.
    -Jeff
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

18. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    10% glyphosate didn't do much. Just a little color change at the tips, nothing else. Today we cut it down and re-sprayed Sahara, in an effort to get soil contact this time ....
    -Jeff
    GA Cat. 24 Lic. # 03671

+ Reply to Thread