+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Trailer??

1. Join Date
    Sep 2004

What Trailer??

Hi.. I just became a member to this site. I am 15 and i have many customers which have big lawns. I will be getting a scag. I wanted to know which trailer should i buy that would fit a scag and 2 commerical lawnboys. I want an open trailer. Would a 4X8 trailer work??/

thanks
    Lawn In Order

2. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Depends on the size mower you are looking at, a 4x8 wouldn't be wide enough for a 48 in mower. If you plan on doing this for a while and want a trailer that would be more in demand later if you decided to upgrade, why not go with a 5 x 10 or a 6 x 12.
    Rich
    Davis Total Lawn Care
    www.davistotallawn.com
    TDA # 1543

dtlc logo

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I realli don't know what size scag i am going to go with. i will proably get a 5X10. Where is a place where i can get a cheap 5X10 trailer.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2003

trailer

look in your local phone book for a trailer dealer in your area. i made the mistake of buying a smaller trailer and then when i bought a ztr i had to buy another trailer so i suggest goin with the 6x12
    good luck
    Andrew's Lawn Ranger
    Bucks County PA

2005 Chevy 2500HD with Meyer C-8
    1999 Dakota
    16ft dual axel trailer
    2001 bobcat ztr
    1999 ferris w/b
    Echo,shindaiwa,tanaka

Little Wonder vaccuum--- For Sale--- $800
    total of 3 hours on it

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    If you havnt already bought that trailer i would really consider what lawnranger is tryin to tell you by getting something bigger. I am 17 am started about the same age as you. I made a mistake by buying a smaller trailer and now that I am expanding I wish that I would have just made the first purchase of at LEAST a 16ft tandom axle trailer. Beliieve me it is easyer to pull around town if they are bigger and A LOT! easier to back up if you are in town, may sound strange but true. So really, if you are planning on stayin the the business you should consider getting a larger trailer so you can grow into it.
    Colby

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I don't see how a 16 footer would maneuver better than a 12 footer in some backing situations. You'd have to allow yourself more room for the longer trailer. I've been in many tight situations with my 12 footer that I've been glad to have it instead of a longer trailer. I feel that 12' long is a really nice maneuverable length. It's also nice to have a tandem axle trailer since these will trail behind your truck much more smoothly without bouncing around as much, and not to mention can carry more weight. You'll want brakes at least on one axle on the trailer to be technically legal.

I do agree that you should get a large enough trailer to allow you to expand. You wont be able to get anything on there but your mower with a 5X8. You might buy a wider mower in the future, and you'll want a lot more room to put stuff.

My trailer, which is the one that I started out with, is a 6.5' X 12'. Sometimes I've wished for a 14', but never anything that much longer unless I wanted 3 mowers on one trailer. the 12' fits 2 mowers comfortably as well as my 21" push mower. If you plan on getting another mower with all your big lawns as you expand, you'll be savin yourself money and time in the future by getting the larger trailer now.
    The Mean Green Cut
    Kevin Rumsey, Owner
    www.themeangreencut.com

7. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Kevin, I know it sounds silly, but a longer trailer is easier to back up as Coldy said. They don't react as quickly as shorter trailers do.
    Bill Parrish
    Fine Lines Lawn

lawn pic

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Speaking from expeirence pulling trailers on the farm since i was 9 a longer trailer is the way to go. The trailer itself does not react as quick when trying to back into a driveway or such in the city. I feel you would have more luck with expansion, mobility, and everything else with a larger trailer.
    Colby

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I understand that a shorter trailer will react more quickly, however I was speaking about the room required to back the larger trailer. If for instance you were trying to back a 90 degree angle, a 16 footer would require the truck to swing out more than with with a 12 footer. Bottom line, shorter trailers will enable you to maneuver tighter spots. (if you're a good backer) However, as Bill pointed out to me, a longer trailer would be easier to back and maneuver as long as you have the room.

Now, I don't see how the difference between a 16' and 12' trailer is too much different. I was just thinking that if I was in Law in Order's spot I wouldn't want to be hauling a just a 48'' scag on a 16' trailer for too long unless I planned on expanding a lot soon.
    The Mean Green Cut
    Kevin Rumsey, Owner
    www.themeangreencut.com

+ Reply to Thread