+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is a fair hourly rate to charge for mowing grass?

1. Join Date
    May 2004

What is a fair hourly rate to charge for mowing grass?

I have a Xt3000-60, what is a fair hourly rate or job rate to charge for cutting grass? Thanks for any input.

2. Join Date
    May 2004

priceing

this has been my firts year mowing an i think im too cheap an would like too know too pll say a dolar a mim but cant get that here what ya think this is in putnam county indiana thanks

3. Join Date
    May 2004
    I have been charging $30 an hour on my XT-3000 60. That is what I charge in Putnam county. Other's I have been told are near $50 an hour.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My father gets charged about $50 and it takes just under an hour. I think they are charging $60 for the same job to their new customers. Hardin County, Ky.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    $30 bucks is way to cheap... you should be up near $60. maybe $30 if you were using a push mower, but you have a fast machine. make it worth your time. so if you do a lawn that takes 30 min. its only $15 bucks?

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    What you charge an hour should reflect on your business. What you need to do is either figure out what your operating costs are and then tack on what you want to make, or talk to a CPA (I think) and have him help you create a business plan.

If someone is making $60/hour, that sounds great, but they might have a ton of overhead.

There is no set hourly rate, and it varies from place to place due to living expenses and what not.
    Henry

Go Razorbacks

"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." -- Aristotle

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I wouldn't charge by the hour to mow grass.

I figure what I'd like to make an hour and charge accordingly. Then when I get faster on that lawn I'm making more money. If I charged by the hour I'd be making less the faster I got.

Maybe that's what you mean.

You really shouldn't be charging less than $60/hr going by the hour meter on the machine. With trimming, travel time etc, you'd be doing good to average $15/hr. Then with overhead expenses, fuel, insurances, a truck, you'd be doing good to average half of that. So you're charging $60 but getting $7.50

You make money by finding ways to eleminate expenses and getting more productive.
    If you begin by charging less than $60/hr. the expenses and overhead will still get the same share of the income. What will be less is the amount you get to keep.

Dave

8. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Yeah what Dave said...........

you spend 20 min on a lawn and it's a $35 lawn do you charge them $20 or $35?

You spend 40 min on a $35 lawn do you charge them $40 or $35?
    "If you're stupid, you deserve to suffer"

9. Join Date
    Feb 2002
    well ive been working with 21" toros for 2 yrs now and i am charging 36 a hour and i have a 25 dollar minimum... but like LGF was saying on a 20 minute yard i still charge 25 when i can. when i was using a 32" viking hydro i was at 60/hr... i guess the point of this is 30 a hr is too low jack it up =) you would get at least 50/hr if you are doing everything trim edge blow i would definately go up to 60 an hour.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Mowing grass weed eating is hard work if you work, 10-15-an hour per person so whos to say the equipment is worth 30 at least a mininumum of 45 and up bottem line.

11. Join Date
    Sep 2004

what to charge

AIM HIGH!!

We have had a 45.00 minimum charge per stop for several years and it eliminates all the waste of time 15$ calls. We aim for at least $75.00 per man hour on our residential schedul!1 You won't always get that but by aiming high your actual average will be higher! Do serious quality work and be respectable at all times and your clients will be loyal to you! You can MATH yourself to death--the bottom line is to treat yourself as a serious professional--if you are gtood and properly equipped andall then you are no different than a lawyer or accountant charging for professional services!

Always treat what you do as a business, with overhead, employess expenses, etc! Don't let your clients know that you work out of your home(if you do)--don't let them know that mowing is apartime thing for you(if it is)! The firefighters that come into our shop (dozens of them) have all done a lot better finacially when they quit telling people they were firefighters mowing part time!

12. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I have 5 houses in a row small yards 15 for 4 of them 16 for the 5th,Less than an hour i am out.residentials every week cut plus chem.some have said they don't drop the gate for no less than 35.

13. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Charge whatever makes you money. I go for 50 a man hour mowing. So I charge 100 an hour. But I have a minumum of $30 to Mow a lawn. And I usually do more then 800 in a 8 hour day. So I am making over my 100 an hour goal.

14. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    opps

15. Join Date
    Nov 2001

Charge per hour

I Chgarge $1 per min with two choppers running. Thats covers Gas wear and time. Older people i give them a break Older than 60..
    CLARKE

CLARKE'S TOTAL LAWN CARE
    OUR BUSINESS IS ALWAYS GROWING

+ Reply to Thread