+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it true? Briggs owns Generac?

1. Join Date
    Dec 2001

Is it true? Briggs owns Generac?

I have had a couple of people tell me that Briggs and Stratton bought out Generac. Anyone know if that is true?
    Jeff Thomas
    Jeffco Enterprises
    (stump grinding/land clearing/mowing)

2. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    I had previously heard that and when I asked Art, his answer was "no".
    Bill Parrish
    Fine Lines Lawn

lawn pic

3. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    In 1998, or there abouts, Briggs bought the engineering and design to build the "Vangaurd Engine", This was bought from Generac. Hence the reason the Vaguard resembles a Gaurdian. A few years later Briggs bought the division that produced the small generators and small pressure washers. Briggs has not bought the engine division of Generac. Although Briggs does buy several thousand engines,per year, from Generac. This is on the insistance of Lowes and Hame Depo. These two box stores have had better luck with the smaller horse power engines " 7hp, etc, from Generac then they have had from Briggs. This information was recieved from one of the Generac Reps.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Thanks for the info. What with B & S being on a buying spree, I would not have been surprised it it had been true.
    Jeff Thomas
    Jeffco Enterprises

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I just bought a new Generac generator, the 7550EXL. I shopped for weeks. What I found was many had the B & S engines. And they were cheap. You could get a bigger unit with a B & S for the same price as a smaller unit with the Generac engine. I personally think B & S engines are crap, so I went with the Generac engine. When I called the Generac 1-800 # for accessories, I was greeted by a woman who stated something like: "Thanks for calling Briggs & Straton/ Generac, how may I direct your call?" Man, I hope they stay seperate.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004

Chazzce

My Dixie dealer informed me when I bought my Silver Eagle that Dixie Chopper had bought Generac and that in the transition there were essentially no spare parts being produced. He stated that if I ever had a problem with my engine/warranty work that they would just slap a new engine on because of this shortage of parts. Did my dealer not tell me the truth? (I don't want to call him a liar in this political climate.)

7. Join Date
    Jun 2003

Generac engines

Generac is (like Dixie Chopper) a private family owned company.There are parts available from your Dixie Chopper dealer.Dixie Chopper buys their engines from Generac,and are set up as a distributor of Generac parts.Sorry,your dealer was misinformed.
    DC Service

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The vanguard is Toyota.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    As it stands today, the warranty will be handled in this manner. While under warranty, the dealer will change external componites only. In case of an internal failure, the dealer might be required to "break into" the case of the engine. If the failure is covered as a warranty issue, he will then replace the engine. This is not being done due to a shortage of parts, but rather normal warranty procedure. As I stated this is "todays" procedure... in the future short blocks, etc. might enter into the realm of dealing with a warranty issue. Remember, this engine carries a three year warranty.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    That is a great warranty on those engines. Probably the best warranty in the small engine business right now. Maybe it will force some other manufacturers to extend there warranties to stay competitive.
    Jeff Thomas
    Jeffco Enterprises

11. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    briggs n stratton corp bought Simplicity Manufacturing

+ Reply to Thread