+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backfire on 2000-XW2002

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007

Backfire on 2000-XW2002

I just changed oil & oil filter (engine) & air filter on my machine (KOHLER 20HP) each time I shut it off it backfires only one time. This has never happened b4. Is it something I should worry about?? I bought it used last year and this is the 1st time I have had any trouble.

Kevin

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Are you idleing the motor down before turning it off? The only time either of my mowers has backfired like that is when I cut them off WOT.
    Rob - Portland, Tennessee
    Construction Business Owner
    Dixie Chopper SE LT2000-44" - 20HP Kohler
    John Deere GS30-36" w/Velke - 14HP Kawasaki

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Yes I always idle down!!

Kevin

4. Join Date
    Jun 2003

Did you use a Kohler filter & 10W30 motor oil ? Have you ever had the heads pulled for cleaning/valve inspection ?
    DC Service

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Yes,I used the kohler filter From the dealer.
    No, on the 10w30 the dealer gave me 15-40 lucas $$$.Is that the wrong oil??
    No, I have not had the heads off. Is this something I need to have done??

Kevin

6. Join Date
    Jun 2003

I was once told by Kohler that a backfire on shutdown is normal ,but I think that the motors are set so lean to meet EPA laws that backfires are common .In the old days there were adjustable main & idle mixture screws .Now there are fixed jets,and only an idle speed adjustment .You should remove the heads for cleaning/inspections at least every 2 years. The Lucas oil will be fine in your unit.
    DC Service

7. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Try shutting it off at 3/4-full throttle,it works on mine.AT full throttle the main jet gets cut off with the key,so no fuel,no backfire.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007

Thanks

Thanks for your input.If it is not going to hurt the machine I will not worry about it. I will have it checked out if it gets worse. One small backfire is worth the time I save and the better looking job my Dixie does for me.
    Kevin

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My 25 HP Kohler will backfire if I shut it down hot, so I just let it run at idle for about one minute, then no backfire. You can 'choke' it off and avoid backfire while hot but I don't believe that's good.

Overall, the Kohler is one solid engine.

OkieDixie

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    I bent a pushrod in one of my motors from a backfire.
    I leaned off the seat to get something close in the garage and it backfired.
    Wouldnt start again.

11. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    I have a 25 kohler.

I idle it down for 30 sec then just bump up the throttle a very little bit.

Has not backfired since I have been doing this.

3000 hrs and counting!
    Todd
    GreenQuest Lawn Care

12. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenQuest Lawn View Post
    I have a 25 kohler.

I idle it down for 30 sec then just bump up the throttle a very little bit.

Has not backfired since I have been doing this.

3000 hrs and counting!
    That works for my 25-horsepower Kohler also. I let it idle for a few seconds then set the throttle around 2000-rpm and turn the key off...no backfire!

The first engine was replaced under the factory warranty once and I'm pretty sure the constant backfire each time I shut it off is what caused the heads to lift.
    http://ok-speed.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15&dateline=1230211345.jpg

13. Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    That works for my 25-horsepower Kohler also. I let it idle for a few seconds then set the throttle around 2000-rpm and turn the key off...no backfire!

The first engine was replaced under the factory warranty once and I'm pretty sure the constant backfire each time I shut it off is what caused the heads to lift.
    Im pretty sure the backfire is in the muffler,not the engine.I dont think it would have much of an effect on lifting a head.The gasket issue is a known Kohler problem.With my 25,if i dont have time to let it cool for 30 seconds,I find that shutting it off wide open works just as well,as the fuel solenoid shuts off all the fuel,the engine is still winding down,and the last few revolutions are just air,no fuel to cause a backfire.

14. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    That is weird.My 22's and 25 have never backfired.
    "Service your customers or someone else will"

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton, 03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds

15. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    My 30 hp Kohler will backfire everytime if I shut it off below 3000 rpm once the engine has heated up. I don't like shutting it off at high RPM's but I think it is less harmfull than backfiring all the time.
    As for ideling down and waiting till the engine cools down enough.....maybe it's just me but I don't have time to sit for several minutes 20 or so times a day waiting for the engine to cool down enough to shut it off without it backfiring

That is another thing I loved about the EFI kohler I had before this one, six years and never heard the thing backfire even once, no matter how hot it was or where the throttle was at when it turned off.

16. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by John D View Post
    I’m pretty sure the backfire is in the muffler not the engine. I don’t think it would have much of an effect on lifting a head. The gasket issue is a known Kohler problem. With my 25, if I don’t have time to let it cool for 30 seconds I find that shutting it off wide open works just as well. As the fuel solenoid shuts off all the fuel the engine is still winding down and the last few revolutions are just air, no fuel to cause a backfire.
    I tried that method with the old engine, but it would still backfire about 1/2 the time when hot.

The last time I stopped the old engine it backfired hard and wouldn’t run properly again. Maybe the backfire blew the head gasket out?
    http://ok-speed.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15&dateline=1230211345.jpg

17. Join Date
    Dec 2001

Kohler backfire

Kohler has been requiring engine shut down at 1/2 throttle,(or above) for years now with the fuel shutoff valve in the carburetor
    [COLOR=Blue]BURKHEIMER EQUIPMENT
    Aberdeen,Maryland 21001-1104
    phone (410)734-4242
    Maryland's OLDEST DIXIE DEALER SINCE(1993)
    e-mail burkheimer@hotmail.com

+ Reply to Thread